Titanic Facts, Trivia, and a Map of New York
This page features Titanic Facts and other New York trivia. Shown above is a free printable Map of New York State. This map depicts cities, major roadways, water bodies, and surrounding territories.
Scroll down for useful and related links, including a link to zip code maps of New York City (Manhattan and Brooklyn).
Go Here to see Maps of New York State And New York City.
Titanic was the name of a British passenger liner that sank in the Atlantic Ocean on April 15th, 1912, after colliding with an iceberg.
The ship was on its maiden voyage from England to New York City. Of more than 2,200 people on board, only about 750 survived.
The builders of the Titanic were so overconfident that they believed life boats were unnecessary. They fancied the Titanic unsinkable. This is why not enough lifeboats were installed on the ship, resulting in tragic consequences.
For more Titanic Facts, visit the South Street Seaport Museum.
top 10 facts about New York
- America's first pizzeria was opened in New York City.
- America's first chess tournament was held in New York in 1843.
- New York City features more than 700 miles of subway track.
- America's first railroad ran eleven miles between Albany and Schenectady.
- The state of New York is home to 62 counties.
- By population, New York is the nation's third largest state.
- New York is bordered by New Jersey and Pennsylvania to the south, by Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Vermont to the east, and by parts of Canada to the north.
- The original inhabitants of what is now the state of New York were the Algonquin, the Iroquois, and the Lenape tribes. These people inhabited the area for many centuries, until Dutch settlers arrived around 1600.
- The first European exploration of the Hudson River was the voyage of Henry Hudson in 1609.
- The ten largest cities in New York state are New York City, Buffalo, Rochester, Yonkers, Syracuse, Albany, New Rochelle, Mount Vernon, Schenectady and Utica. In fact, New York City is the largest city in the United States.
NYC ZIP CODE MAP
MAP OF NEW JERSEY
Return to the MAP QUIZ PAGE
Other Useful Links
Premium Factory Outlets in All 50 States
Low-Cost Car Insurance in Every State
Fact and Photo Galleries for All 50 States
Affordable Travel Deals in all 50 States and Washington DC.
Work From Home Anywhere in America
Universities and PhD Programs in All 50 States