Search by Keyword
South Carolina Facts: Columbia is the largest city in South Carolina.
Above: A sunset view of the Columbia skyline.
1. The official state flower of South Carolina is the Carolina Yellow Jessamin.
2. The official state tree of South Carolina is the Palmetto.
3. The official state bird of South Carolina is the Great Carolina Wren.
4. South Carolina is home to 43 State Parks.
5. The state of South Carolina is divided into ten geographical
regions: Upcountry, Olde English, Pee Dee, Myrtle Beach, Historic Charleston, Santee Cooper, Capital City-Lake Murray, Olde 96, Thoroughbred, and Low Country-Resort Islands.
7. The five largest cities in South Carolina (by population size) are Columbia, Charleston, North Charleston, Mount Pleasant and Rock Hill, in that order.
8. South Carolina is home to 16 universities.
9. South Carolina has 462 golf courses.
10. Native American Indian tribes from South Carolina include Catawba, Cherokee, Chickasaw, Iroquois, Pee Dee, Santee and Waccamaw.
Above: Downtown Columbia.
Here is an alphabetical list of the 16 accredited universities in the state of South Carolina.
Below: Downtown Charleston.
1 Sage Valley Course - Graniteville
2 Harbour Town Course - Hilton Head Island
3 Caledonia Course - Pawleys Island
4 True Blue Course - Pawleys Island
5 Legends Course - Parris Island
6 Ocean Course - Kiawah Island Resort
7 Yeamans Hall Course - Charleston
8 Grande Dunes Course - Myrtle Beach
9 Dunes Course - Myrtle Beach
10 Chester Course - North Augusta
11 Southern Oaks Course - Easley
12 Oyster Reef Course - Hilton Head Island
13 Kings North Course - Myrtle Beach
14 Bonnie Brae Course - Greenville
15 Long Bay Course - Longs
16 Rivertowne Course - Mount Pleasant
17 Country Club of Charleston Course - Charleston
18 Indigo Creek Course - Murrells Inlet
19 Quail Creek Course - Conway
20 Walker Golf Course At Clemson University - Clemson
Above: South Carolina Facts: Palmetto Dunes golf course in Hilton Head is a local favorite,
but did not make the list of Top 20 golf courses in South Carolina.
Above: Kiawa Island Golf Resort.
Below: The Charleston skyline.
Above: The Harbor Walk at Georgetown, South Carolina.
Above: South Carolina Facts:
This obscenely expensive mansion on the Millford Plantation is one of many restored architectural landmarks in the area.
Above: Myrtle Beach.
Above: The remains of Fort Sumter in Sumter, South Carolina.
Above: Summer sunset over a muggy swamp.
Affordable Travel Deals in all 50 States and Washington DC.