Shepherds Pie Recipe and Other American Favorites
Scroll down for a delightful Shepherds Pie Recipe. This may not as simple as some other recipes are, but the delicious result is well worth the effort.
Shepherds Pie Recipe
- 10 oz pearl onions
- 4 leeks (pale parts only), cut into 1/2- inch-thick slices
- 2 lbs. boneless lamb shoulder, cut into 1-inch cubes (or smaller)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 tablespoons flour
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup beef broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 5 sliced carrots
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 large Idaho potatoes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Blanch onions in a 2- to 3-quart pot of boiling salted water for 1 minute, then transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl of cold water.
- Drain onions and peel, trimming off the root ends.
- Rinse and drain leeks.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pat lamb dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Put lamb and 3 tablespoons flour in a sealable plastic bag, then seal bag and shake to coat lamb.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in flame-proof casserole dish over medium-high heat, then brown half the lamb, about 6 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon garlic and continue cooking and stirring for another 2 minutes.
- Transfer browned lamb and garlic to a plate with a slotted spoon and repeat with remaining lamb and another tablespoon garlic (do not add more butter).
- Add wine to casserole dish and boil over high heat, stirring and scraping up brown bits, for about 1 minute.
- Stir in tomato paste and boil, stirring, about 5 minutes.
- Add broth, water, thyme, browned lamb, onions, leeks, carrots, turnips, salt and pepper. Stir until mixed evenly.
- Bring to a simmer over moderately high heat, then remove from heat.
- Cover dish and place in middle of oven.
- Let cook for about 90 minutes, stirring once or twice, until lamb is tender.
- While filling cooks, peel and quarter potatoes.
- Cover potatoes with salted cold water 4-quart heavy pot.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer, uncovered, until very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and mash them in a bowl.
- Bring cream, milk, and butter to a simmer in same pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until butter is melted, then remove from heat and stir in some salt and pepper.
- Add potatoes to hot cream mixture and stir gently to combine. Cover to keep it warm.
- Preheat broiler.
- Stir together 1 1/2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons flour in a small bowl to form a paste.
- Spoon 1 cup cooking liquid from the casserole dish into a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Whisk in butter/flour paste, then simmer, whisking occasionally, until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Gently stir this sauce into lamb and vegetables.
- Spoon potatoes over lamb and vegetables and spread evenly with a fork, making a pattern of fork lines.
- Broil for about 3 minutes, until top is golden brown.
That's all there is to making a classic Shepherds Pie Recipe.
Rotisserie Chicken Recipe
Authentic American Recipes from every state
Main Course Recipe Page
Another Free Printable Recipe Collection
Other useful Links
How to Work from Home anywhere in America.
PhD Programs in All 50 States.
Low-Cost Car Insurance in All 50 States.
Fact & Photo Galleries from All 50 States.
Factory Outlets in All 50 States.
Low-Cost Travel ideas to and around all 50 states.
shepherds pie recipe