Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe and other american favorites
Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
This smooth, tangy Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe is an old American favorite.
They say it tastes best when made during cold weather, but this popular dish is a delicious dessert treat any time of year.
The Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe is also much easier to make than it looks. Impress your friends, family and coworkers with this popular dessert creation.
For the Lemon Filling:
- 1-1/3 cups of sugar
- 1-1/2 cups of water
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of cornstarch mixed with 1/3 cup water
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 1 teaspoon of grated lemon zest
For the Meringue:
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- To make the filling, combine the 1-1/2 cups of sugar, 1-1/2 cups of water, and half a teaspoon of salt in a heavy saucepan, or in the top of a double boiler. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Mix the cornstarch with one third cup of water, and add this to the boiling mixture slowly, stirring constantly.
- Cook until the mixture is thickened and clear. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Stir in the egg yolks and lemon juice.
- Return the mixture to the heat and stir it until it begins to bubble.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the butter and lemon zest.
- Cover the pan and let the mixture cool to room temperature.
To make the meringue:
- Combine the egg whites, cream of tartar, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Beat until it reaches a frothy texture.
- Gradually add half a cup of sugar, beating until glossy peaks form when you lift the beater.
- Pour the filling into the pie shell.
- Add the meringue on top, spreading it so it touches the edge of the crust.
- Bake the pie for about 15 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned.
- Cool the pie on a rack for about one hour.
- Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
Makes about 6-8 servings
MAIN DESSERT PAGE
Authentic American Recipes from all 50 states.
Main Course Recipe Page
Another Free Printable Recipe Collection
other useful links
Premium Factory Outlets in All 50 States.
Fact and Photo Galleries for All 50 States.
Air Travel Discount Deals and Low-Cost Lodging in all 50 States and Washington DC.
Low-Cost Car Insurance in All 50 States and Washington DC.
Work From Home Anywhere in America.
Universities and PhD Programs in All 50 States.