Labor Day Clipart and facts about labor day
Above: Labor Day Clipart
image credit: itsnotaboutme.tv
Labor Day is a national holiday which observes the labor movement in the late 19th century, and pays tribute to the social and economic achievements of workers in the United States.
Labor Day is meant to celebrate and remember workers in America, who fought for fairer treatment through the years. However, many younger Americans see Labor Day as a time of mourning, being the last day of summer before the new school year begins.
more Labor Day Clipart designs
above image credit: giphy.com
Above and below: More Labor Day Clipart
image credit: officeholidays.com
above image credit: q13fox.com
top 10 fast facts about Labor Day
- Back in the 1800s, the average American worker worked 12 hours a day, seven days a week. Children started working at around the age of 6.
- The passing of the Adamson Act in 1916 firmly established the 8-hour day for American workers.
- Labor Day started in Canada, but the first Labor Day in America was observed on Tuesday, September 5th of 1882 in New York City, when the Central Labor Union persuaded roughly 10,000 workers to take unpaid leave, and march in a demonstration from City Hall all the way up to 92nd Street and 9the Avenue.
- In 1887, Oregon became the first state to make Labor Day a holiday.
- Labor Day was declared a national (paid) work holiday in 1894 by President Grover Cleveland.
- These days, Labor Day is observed on the first Monday of September.
- Labor Day Weekend marks the start of America's football season.
- In America, Labor Day unofficially marks the end of summer, and the start of the new school year, although the official end of summer is weeks later on September 21st.
- Labor Day is one of the busiest times to travel. The most popular Labor Day travel destinations are South Beach Florida, Myrtle Beach South Carolina, and Coney Island, New York.
- Wearing white after Labor Day is often considered a fashion "don't," as the new fall colors are in season. .
more holidays and related links
New Years Eve
Chinese New Year
MARDI GRAS COLORING PAGES
St. Patrick's Day
April Fools Day
Easter Coloring Pages
More Easter Coloring Pages
Easter Basket Ideas
Easy Halloween Recipes
Halloween Costume Ideas
Authentic Native American Halloween Costumes
HALLOWEEN COLORING PAGES
other useful links
Online Schools In America
Community Colleges In America