Healthy Eating Recipes and health data
above image: Pinterest.com
Scroll down for assorted Healthy Eating Recipes from the links shown below.
Or read this page to learn how to make Cincinnati Chili.
For a vegetarian form of this recipe, use firm, dry tofu instead of ground beef.
- 1 pound of extra-lean ground beef
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 Tablespoon of chili powder
- 1 teaspoon of ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red (cayenne) pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 & 1/2 Tablespoons of unsweetened cocoa, or 1/2 ounce of grated unsweetened chocolate.
- 1 (15-ounce) can of tomato sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/4 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large chopped onion
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, sauté half of the onion, ground beef, garlic, and chili powder until the ground beef is slightly cooked.
- Add allspice, cinnamon, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, unsweetened cocoa or chocolate, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, and water.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, for about 90 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Top with shredded cheddar cheese, chopped raw onion, and/or kidney beans.
- If desired, ladle the mixture over cooked spaghetti, or onto a hot dog bun.
- Serve with Oyster Crackers.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
5 fast facts about beans
- Bean is the name used for the seeds of certain plants.
- Bean plants are known as legumes.
- Edible legumes include lentils, soybeans, fava beans, lima beans, black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, and peas, among others. Many Healthy Eating Recipes contain these types of beans.
- Beans are one of the four important sources of protein. The other three are meats, nuts, and dairy products.
- Some American Indian tribes grew maize, beans and squash together, in a system that originated in Mexico.
The corn was not planted in rows as it is today, but in a checkerboard fashion across a field, in separate patches of one to four stalks each.
Beans would then be planted around the base of the developing corn stalks, and would vine their way up as the stalks grew.
Conveniently, the cornstalks served as a trellis for the beans, and the beans provided nitrogen for the corn.
Squash was then planted in the spaces between the corn patches.
The corn sheltered the squash from the sun, while the squash plants discouraged animals from attacking the corn and beans, because their coarse, hairy vines and broad, stiff leaves are difficult for smaller animals to navigate.
More Healthy Eating Recipes and related links
Meat and Vegetarian Chili Recipes
Another Vegetarian Chili Recipe
Authentic American Recipes from every state
Main Course Recipe Page
Another Free Printable Recipe Collection
BLOOD PRESSURE CHART
BLOOD SUGAR LEVELS
HEALTHY WEIGHT CHART
WEIGHT LOSS TIPS
other useful links
Premium Factory Outlets and Wholesale Goods in All 50 States.
Fact and Photo Galleries for All 50 States.
Affordable Travel Deals in all 50 States and Washington DC.
Low-Cost Car Insurance in All 50 States and Washington DC.
Work From Home Anywhere in America.
Universities and PhD Programs in All 50 States.