Egg Roll Recipe and other international dishes
Scroll down for a classic Egg Roll Recipe. For more great recipes, visit any of the links shown below.
classic Egg Roll Recipe
- 1 package egg roll wrappers (4 1/2" by 5 1/2")
- 2 tablespoons oil for stir-frying
- 2 to 4 cups oil for deep-frying
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons cold water
- 1 pound barbecued pork
- 1 medium sliced onion
- 2 stalks finely chopped celery
- 1/2 pound fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 pound thinly sliced Napa Cabbage
- 2 diced green onions
- 1 pound fresh bean sprouts
- Pork Seasoning:
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- salt, pepper, accent (if desired) to taste
EGG ROLL RECIPE DIRECTIONS:
- Mix pork seasoning ingredients together.
- Cut pork into thin strips.
- Add the seasonings and marinate the pork for 15 minutes.
- While the pork is marinating, prepare the vegetables, and mix the sauce ingredients.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a wok over medium-high heat.
- Stir fry celery and onion in the oil.
- Taste and add a pinch of salt and/or sugar if desired.
- Remove vegetables from the wok.
- Add the pork to the wok and cook covered until well done.
- Remove pork and set aside.
- Clean the wok and stir-fry separately the mushrooms, water chestnuts, and bean sprouts.
- Check the seasoning while stir-frying the bean sprouts
- Add salt and/or sugar as desired.
- Stir-fry the cabbage, covering and cooking for approximately 1 minute.
- Combine all the ingredients in the wok. Drain some juice from the vegetables if necessary.
- Add the sauce, pushing the vegetables up against the sides of the wok to form a well in the middle for the sauce, and stir to thicken.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add green onion.
- Set the filling aside to allow to cool before wrapping.
- Wrapping: Mix the 2 tablespoons cornstarch with 2 teaspoons cold water, slowly adding the water to the cornstarch until you have a "glue" which will be used to seal the wrappers.
- Lay each egg roll wrapper out with the short (4 1/2") side directly in front of you. This will be the dry side.
- The two long sides will be called sides 1 and 3, and the other short side directly across from you will be called side 2.
- Place about a tablespoon of filling in the middle of the wrapper, spreading it out but not getting too close to the edges.
- Using your fingertip, spread a bit of the cornstarch/water glue along edges 1, 2, and 3.
- Fold over the dry side, then take side 2 and fold it over, making sure the two sides overlap.
- Press down firmly on sides 1 and 3, making sure they are well sealed.
- Heat 2-4 cups oil in the wok over medium high heat.
- When oil is well heated (but not smoking), slide each egg roll carefully into the wok one at a time.
- Deep-fry until they are golden brown, turning at least once during cook time.
- Remove eggrolls from oil with tongs, and drain on paper towels.
- Keep eggrolls on a tray lined with fresh paper towels until needed. Do not stack them.
- Serve this Egg Roll Recipe with Sweet and Sour Dipping Sauce.
more recipes and related links
BACK TO MAIN RECIPE PAGE
Easy Dessert Recipes
Traditional Recipes from Every State
Easy Party Appetizers and Side Dishes
Another Great Recipe Collection
other useful links
How to Work from Home anywhere in America.
PhD Programs in All 50 States.
Low-Cost Car Insurance in All 50 States.
Affordable Travel Deals anywhere in America.
Fact & Photo Galleries from All 50 States.
Factory Outlets in All 50 States.