Easy Soup Recipes and Authentic Regional Cuisine
One of America's favorite Easy Soup Recipes is Rhode Island Clam Chowder.
The flavors of Rhode Island cuisine are infused with Italian and Portuguese influence, with a strong emphasis on seafood. Cooking and food are very important to Rhode Islanders.
In fact, there are quite a few foods unique to Rhode Island. For instance,
The Official State Drink of Rhode Island is COFFEE MILK, a beverage created by mixing milk with coffee syrup. This unique syrup was invented in Rhode Island, and is bottled and sold in most local supermarkets.
Rhode Island also has its own version of clam chowder, which has a clearer broth and lots of fresh, juicy, tender Quahog clams. Try this fast and easy recipe:
Rhode Island Clam Chowder
- 16 oz. canned clams (or about 4 dozen fresh clams)
- 3 slices bacon
- 2 small diced yellow onoins
- 2 stalks of celery, diced
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 pound of red potatoes, diced
- 1 quart clam juice or seafood broth
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley
- Drain the canned clams, pouring the liquid from them into a glass measuring cup.
- Add enough clam juice to yield 4 cups, and set aside.
- Cut the bacon crosswise into 1/4-inch strips.
- Put the bacon in a heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally, and cook until done, about 5-7 minutes.
- Transfer the bacon to a paper towel.
- Set the pot back over medium heat and add the onion and celery.
- Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes
- Pour in the wine and let it bubble for 1 minute.
- Add the potatoes, clam broth, thyme, and bay leaf.
- Bring the mixture back to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir the reserved clams and bacon into the pot and add black pepper to taste.
- Let sit for 30 minutes, then remove the bay leaf.
- Stir in the parsley
- Serve with oyster crackers on the side.
Easy Soup Recipes and related links
More Easy Soup Recipes: Gazpacho Soup
Traditional Regional Cuisine from Every State
Other useful Links
Premium Factory Outlets in All 50 States.
Fact and Photo Galleries for All 50 States.
Affordable Travel Deals in all 50 States and Washington DC.
Low-Cost Car Insurance in All 50 States and Washington DC.
Work From Home Anywhere in America.
Universities and PhD Programs in All 50 States.