Black Forest Cake Recipe and Other Popular Favorites
Scroll down for a traditional, authentic Black Forest Cake Recipe. Also find links to other popular dishes.
Black Forest Cake is basically a devil's food cake soaked in Kirsch, and made with cherries, cherry pie filling, and a cream topping.
The cake is often garnished with chocolate chips, or shaved dark chocolate.
This Black Forest Cake Recipe has an endless number of potential variations.
Black Forest Cake Recipe
- 1 2/3 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of shortening
- 1 1/2 cups of white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups of buttermilk
- 1/2 cup of kirsch
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 3 1/2 cups of confectioners' sugar
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon of strong brewed coffee
- 2 (14 ounce) cans of pitted Bing cherries, drained
- 2 cups of heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of kirsch
- 1 (1 ounce) square of semisweet chocolate
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Line the bottoms of two 8 inch round pans with parchment paper circles.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and 1 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
Beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Beat in flour mixture, alternating with buttermilk, until combined.
- Pour into 2 round 8 inch pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 to 40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- Let cool completely.
- Remove paper from the cakes.
- Cut each layer in half, horizontally, making 4 layers total.
- Sprinkle layers with the 1/2 cup kirsh.
- In a medium bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add confectioners sugar, pinch of salt, and coffee. Beat until
smooth. If the consistency is too thick, add a couple teaspoons of
cherry juice or milk.
- Spread first layer of cake with 1/3 of the filling.
- Top with 1/3 of the cherries.
- Repeat with the remaining layers.
- In a separate bowl, whip the cream to stiff peaks.
- Beat in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1 tablespoon kirsh.
- Frost top and sides of cake.
- Decorate with chocolate curls made by using a potato peeler on semisweet baking chocolate.
Enjoy your classic, authentic Black Forest Cake.
more American Favorites
Traditional Recipes from Every State
More Dessert Recipes
Another Great Recipe Collection
Other useful Links
Look here for Premium Factory Outlets in All 50 States.
For fun things to do anywhere in America, visit Fact and Photo Galleries for All 50 States.
See this page for Affordable Travel Deals in all 50 States and Washington DC.
Click here to get Low-Cost Car Insurance in All 50 States and Washington DC.
Visit this page to learn how to Work From Home Anywhere in America.
Go here to see a complete list of Universities and PhD Programs in All 50 States.