Beef Stroganoff Recipes and Other Popular Favorites
Scroll down for Beef Stroganoff Recipes and other popular dishes.
Beef Stroganoff is basically tender sliced beef with mushrooms in a sour cream sauce, usually served over noodles, but sometimes with rice.
Most recipes are easily improvised once you learn the basics.
For more great recipes, visit the links shown below.
Beef Stroganoff Recipes
Here's a relatively simple variation of classic Beef Stroganoff:
- 1 pound filet mignon (or flank steak if you're on a budget)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large, thin-sliced portobello mushrooms (or an equal quantity of your favorite mushrooms)
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour (any brand)
- About 14 ounces of beef broth (use canned or bullion cube)
- 2 tablespoons of brandy (any kind)
- 1 tablespoon of red-wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup of sour cream
- 2 tablespoons of chopped, fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons of chopped, fresh parsley
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over high heat.
- Add the steak and cook it until browned on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Transfer the meat to a cutting board.
- Cut the meat lengthwise into 2 long pieces, then crosswise, across the grain, into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the skillet over a medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms, onion, thyme, salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring often, for about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir until coated.
- Stir in the broth, brandy and vinegar, then bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and continue cooking, stirring often, until the mixture is thickened. Takes about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the sour cream, chives, parsley, steak slices, and any juices from the steak.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer and stir it for about 2 minutes, or until fully heated.
SUGGESTION: Serves best over egg noodles, although some beef stroganoff recipes are served over rice.
Makes about 4 servings.
1. Use Cow Fun noodles or elbow macaroni instead of egg noodles.
2. Create the same dish using other types of meat such as chicken or wild game meats like venison and elk.
3. Add peas to the recipe. Include them when you add the mushroom and onion.
For other interesting regional recipes, visit any of the links shown below.
Other American Favorites
Traditional Recipes from Every State
See Main Entree Page
Another Great Recipe Collection
Look here for Premium Factory Outlets in All 50 States.
For fun things to do anywhere in America, visit Fact and Photo Galleries for All 50 States.
See this page for Affordable Travel Deals in all 50 States and Washington DC.
Click here to get Low-Cost Car Insurance in All 50 States and Washington DC.
Visit this page to learn how to Work From Home Anywhere in America.
Go here to see a complete list of Universities and PhD Programs in All 50 States.