Angel Food Cake Recipes
This page features a variety of Angel Food Cake Recipes.
The spongy confection known as Angel Food Cake first became popular in the United States in the late 19th century.
Most Angel Food Cakes are made with whipped egg whites gently folded into the cake mixture.
Angel Food cake is considered a healthy dessert food, due to its low cholesterol content, since most of an egg's cholesterol comes from the yolk.
Angel Food Cake Recipes
Standard Angel Food Cake Recipes are
pretty basic, but it's fun to experiment with different flavorings and
toppings. Here's a sample recipe:
- 12 egg whites
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sifted cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375° F
- Separate 12 eggs. To do this, break each egg over a bowl, careful to retain the yolk in one of the eggshell halves. Then carefully pour the yolk back and forth from on half of the eggshell to the other. As you do this, the egg whites will drip out into the bowl. Be careful not to break the yolk.
- In large bowl, using a mixer, beat egg whites with cream of tartar at high speed until foamy.
3/4 cup of the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating constantly until
sugar is dissolved and whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks.
- Beat in flavorings.
- Sift together flour, remaining sugar and salt.
- Sift about 1/2 cup of the flour mixture over whites and gently fold just until flour disappears.
- Repeat, folding in remaining flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time.
- Pour cake mixture into ungreased 10 x 3 3/4-inch Angel Food pan.
- Bake until top springs back when lightly touched with finger, about 35 minutes.
- Invert cake in pan on funnel or bottle neck. Let cool completely, about 1 1/2 hours.
- With narrow spatula or knife, loosen cake from pan and gently shake it onto a serving plate.
- Top with fruit or frosting, if desired.
MAKES ABOUT 12 SERVINGS
angel food cake variations
For a festive twist on basic Angel Food Cake Recipes, blend multicolored candy dots into the mix before baking.
Or try blending in some finely diced fresh fruit.
Top the finished product with mixed berries and a sprig of fresh mint.
Or try it with lemon flavored icing (made from powdered sugar, water, and natural lemon extract or fresh lemon juice). Drizzle the icing over the top of the cake so it drips down the sides.
Cooking and Serving Tips:
To maintain sponginess, Angel Food Cake should be cut with a serrated knife dipped in hot water.
Angel Food Cake is traditionally baked in a tube pan, which creates a hole in the middle of the cake. This allows the cake to set more evenly when done.
Angel Food Cake will rise better if you don't grease the pan before baking.
Main Dessert Page
Another Great Recipe Collection
other useful links
Premium Factory Outlets in All 50 States.
Fact and Photo Galleries for All 50 States.
Air Travel Discount Deals and Low-Cost Lodging in all 50 States and Washington DC.
Low-Cost Car Insurance in All 50 States and Washington DC.
Work From Home Anywhere in America.
Universities and PhD Programs in All 50 States.